Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Life changing event

During this time of Dennis's deterioration and the diagnosis from the doctor, Mom came to the realization there were going to be troubling times ahead for the Dean household. She was adamant that Dad should give up his drinking because his alcoholism had already caused too much damage to all, and turn his attentions to his family. Dad agreed and for the most part had given up drinking altogether when he received a phone call saying President Hamblin wanted to have an interview with him.
Although he had mostly given up alcohol Dad was still smoking and our church attendance was very sporadic at best. When President Hamblin visited with Dad, Dad was told he was being called to be the next bishop of the Mancos Ward. Dad was in total disbelief and said he could not be bishop because he did not obey "The Word of Wisdom", hadn't paid tithing for 2o years and was a poor example as a father and a husband.
{resident Hamblin's reply to this was..."Brother Dean, you can either accept this call from the Lord and receive the blessings or you can turn it down and suffer the condemnation..."
To this Dad responded, "President, when you put it that way I don't suppose I have any other choice but to accept...."
It took much courage and committment, but this decision changed all of our lives drastically for the better and for the next many years we were all on a different path of thought and actions in our lives.
Looking back in retrospect most of us are sure this change in attitude would not have happened to Mom and Dad if Dennis had been of normal health, truly we can see that God works in mysterious ways.

5 comments:

Summer Smith said...

amen to that

Amy said...

I love this story. I believe that moment in Granpa's life changed my life as well. I am glad he made the changes he made.... for himself and his posterity.

Brooke said...

Oh. I like Summer's comment. Amen to that.

Short. Yet simple. And very true.

Lori Buhr said...

When I tell people about this it seems to be almost unbelievable to them. I simply tell them it was a series of miracles provided for the salvation of our eternal family. I truly believe we are enjoying the blessings of the gospel because of this set of circumstances provided lovingly by our Heavenly Father. So glad dad accepted.

Mindy Hill said...

Thanks for sharing this story. it meant so much to me especially right now. I was called (as a non-member) to the Primary in January. I could never begin to adequately describe the wonders it has brought into my life and the lives of our little children. The Lord does work in mysterious ways, my life is a testimony of that brother!