Sunday, March 23, 2008

Early onset of Alzheirmers

I have a quirky tradition that the grandkids seem to love and the adult family members wish I would discontinue. Any time I burp while around the grandkids I make sure I do it with full force so the whole world can hear. After each noisy eruption I immediately try to blame it on someone else, which usually creates a good deal of laughter. Sometimes the others in the group will join in and try to put the blame on whomever I fingered as being the culprit, but most times they all respond in unison letting me know I was the guilty party after which I innocently ask..."That was me?? Oh!! Then excuuuuuuse meeee!!!"
I will do this even when I am with only one of the grand kids, but still blame the burp on someone who isn't anywhere near us.
This was the situation Brynlee (our youngest grand daughter) found herself in recently when I cut loose with one of my patented burps. Immediately I blurted out..."Arianna" (the absent grand daughter) to which Brynlee reacted to in an unusual manner.
Brynlee walked the few feet that separated us and put her hands up to both sides of my cheeks to make sure I could look her squarely in the eyes..."No grandpa, this is me , Brynlee, not Arianna...."
She must have thought I had a sudden onset of Alzheimers to the point that I didn't even know which grand daughter was which. It was a precious moment, but I am still following the same method of blaming someone else for my burping moments

4 comments:

Brooke said...

That was so funny grandpa! That is the story! I love it! ~Brynlee

Lori Buhr said...

Yes, your burping skills are legendary! I remember you trying to got one long enough to recite the whole pledge to the flag all in one burp. I remember mom saying, "Oh Ricky, quit that!" Some things never change, except that now you're trying to blame it on someone else!

Angela said...

There have been many times when the "burps" have been heard from my ears...now he needs to tell everyone about what he says when he "toots"...haha!

The Betitas said...

what a cute girl!