Friday, April 25, 2008

Let's go show Mom!!!

Here at the Bauer House Dennis's physical problems with Muscular Dystrophy grew to be very, very obvious. The disease had made his body start to contort, his physical strength was diminishing and his walking ability was becoming more impaired and falling for no reason was becoming more and more a daily event.
As he and I were returning home from a visit one day by the riverside, he did a little stumble which caused him to do a face plant onto the compacted dirt path that made its way from the river bank. He tried to get his hands out in front of him to break the fall, but the disease again was robbing him of his reflexes so his face landed mostly full force as he hit the ground.
Dennis rolled over and sat up. It was immediately evident he had struck his forehead on a slightly protruding rock and he had an instant, purplish bump that was quickly swelling with a slight bit of blood oozing out of the growing goose egg. His eyes looked slightly dazed and he started to make the attempt to get up. Dennis had fallen before so similar head injuries were something I had already experienced with him. I could tell this fall was a bit worse than the others and I could see if Dennis got to his feet he might easily fall over again from his dizziness, so I gently put my arm on him and kept him down on the ground.
In his irritation he looked up and started giving me a verbal lashing, but must have interpreted the concerned look on my face immediately so he stopped in mid sentence to ask me what was wrong.
I couldn't imagine that such a large knot on the head was not accompanied by a great deal of pain, but it never was Dennis style to give any outward indication he was suffering any.
"You have a growing bump on your head" I replied, to which Dennis immediately put his hand up to. As he pulled back his hand he could see the little patch of blood and knew instantly he was not in a serious blood loosing situation. He put his hand back up a second time and carefully felt the entire area of the bump and used different touching styles to test the pain factor and feel how hard the bump was. It had to be one of those bumps that was easy to determine and as I watched him I could swear it was still getting bigger.
Slowly a smile came across his face as the dazed look in his eyes disappeared and he became fully aware again of his surroundings.
"Let's go show Mom" he said as he could picture the reaction it would elicit from her as she turned into mild shock, but still would put on her best face that it was as normal a thing for us as picking our nose.
I helped Dennis up to his feet and off we excitedly went to present our newest disaster to Mom.

2 comments:

Amy said...

These are my favorite stories. I love to hear about Dennis and his attitude. The stories inspire me to do better.

Thanks for sharing!

Lori Buhr said...

I remember when Ron came home from school with a similar type knot from getting hit in the head with a baseball bat, I think. He has been punch drunk on baseball ever since, you'd think a near coma causing blow to the head would make someone smarter??? I think both eyes eventually swelled shut and he was a frightful sight.