Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My day as bishop ( case of mistaken identity)

When my aunt died a few years back I was asked by her daughter (my cousin of course) to conduct and preside over her funeral, which I was honored to do. The funeral was in another state so I showed up to be of help to the family and get ready for the event.As I got to the funeral home and started meeting different family members I was a bit confused as to why several loved ones were coming up to me and jokingly saying, "Hello there, how is it going bishop"? It seems my cousin Dani, for what ever reason, thought I was a bishop in my local area and had that printed on the program. I am a church going person, but the biggest leadership role I have had is leading the choir, so most of those who knew me were getting a good laugh at my day of being a bishop.Still, I am glad to say I handled the honor of being the conductor of my aunts funeral and enjoying the tribute to her life.May I offer one last blessing to you all as a one time bishop.....

3 comments:

Amy said...

I haven't heard that one before. I wish I could have seen you as bishop for one day!

melanie said...

ha ha ha ha!!! Well, I guess if you were going to be bishop, it was just for a day!! Not a calling that I would think anyone would ask for.

Lori Buhr said...

It is nice that others think of you so "highly". I do too. I remember this and it is still good for a laugh. Remember when Dad said that he had taken care of two funerals, his wife's husband and his sister's brother's funeral? He meant his wife's brother and his sister's husband, but he got it backwards. It was good for a laugh and Dad didn't even realize what he'd said. That is a classic. The other classic is Uncle Meredith coming up to me at the cemetary in Mancos at Roberta's funeral. He had obviously been drinking already that day. He said, "Hi, sweetie, I haven't seen you for a long time. Now, you're Roberta, right?" I said, "No, she is the one in the coffin that we are about to put in the ground." That was my first and last time being mistaken for a dead person. It wasn't at high a compliment as the one paid to you. Ha!