Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Two Christmas stories, one short, one long, this is the long

When I reflect back on the many Christmas seasons I have been able to enjoy I am able to go all the way back in my memory to the time I was 5. It was a very difficult time for our family but being the tender age of 5 I was very much shielded and innocent in knowing the plight our family was in. At this time Dad was strongly affected by alcohol, we had recently moved back to Mancos from the Denver area and Dad was no longer in the military. It was Christmas time and the family was in a dire financial situation. Mom got us all organized and up to the town Christmas celebration where free bags of goodies were going to be given out to all attending children. I can't remember how the rest of the holiday played out, but I do know it became a time period Mom has said was the worst in her life.
As we got up to the area where all the activity was to take place there was a big buzz about Santa making a visit, which of course got me very excited, I was a 5 year old after all!! When the little bags of candy had been distributed Mom went and asked for a few extra bags and then told us all we were headed back home.
Headed back home? What was she thinking? Santa was supposed to be arriving shortly and she wanted to go back home? I pitched a fit and let her know that I was staying until Santa arrived. Little did I know that any of the gifts that Santa was going to be giving out were gifts that had already been purchased and put into Santa's sack by parents or other family members.
The only reason Mom had taken us there in the first place was to get some of those free bags of goodies because she knew that would be the only Christmas we would enjoy that year. We already had those goodies and she was all for getting away. I persisted in dragging my feet and killing time and I won out before Mom did, because Santa made his entrance before Mom could make her exit. Once every one else saw Santa, Mom was outvoted and all us Dean kids stood around waiting for Santa to hand out our presents....presents which didn't exist.
As the pile of presents finally dwindled down to nothing I and my siblings were the only ones left and I'm sure we had crushed looks on our faces. Mom must have been even more saddened at the scene than we were. I can remember her saying, "Now can we go home?" in an exasperated tone and we started to make our way towards the exit.
For my part I was so very confused. I knew I wasn't a perfect kid, but to not get anything at all from Santa???...Well, it just didn't seem right.
I saw Grandma Matlock coming towards us and she had a few words with Mom that I didn't hear.
Santa yelled out something to the effect..."Wait!!! Are the Dean children here? Santa must have left somethings out of his bag"
Our spirits perked up immediately and we did a quick turn around to ran back to Santa. He had several things in his hand that were not wrapped and called us by name handing each of us a different item. A pair of socks. A T-shirt. A pair of underwear....Hardly gifts that would excite a child, but still an offering that let us know we were not completely forgotten.
When I think of Grandma Matlock I always remember her, knowing she was the one who stepped in and did that last second shopping to save the Christmas trip to the town celebration....Merry Christmas

1 comment:

Amy said...

Loved it Dad! I just read this one to the kids, with a few small tweaks. There are so many lessons I have learned from your stories that I want my kids to know. This was a good one and a hard one not to cry when reading it out loud.