Friday, December 21, 2007

One more Christmas thought...my song

The time leading up to that last Christmas that Dennis was alive, was an emotional time for me. Doctors had said they didn't think he would even survive to see the holidays and in my mind I wanted to believe he would prove them wrong and make a complete recovery by returning to his previous normal lifestyle.
Still, the truth was, deep inside I was quite sure it was going to be his last Christmas so I wanted to do something special. I sat down and wrote the following poem for him and set it to music. At a later time I sang it for Roberta and when she heard it, she cried openly and said it was such a wonderful tribute. Now that Roberta has passed on as well I think of both her and Dennis each Christmas season and consider this to be their song.
.
.
.
Once again its Christmas time
I can see you in my mind
Sitting by our Christmas tree
Pointing out your gift to me

I count those days as the best I ever knew...
Spending early Christmas days with you....

Now the years have passed us by
You have children, I have mine
When they ask about our home
Once again my thoughts they roam

I count those days as the best I ever knew...
Spending early Christmas days with you....

Oh yes, its Christmas time
And I still see you.......in my mind.....
.
.
.
.
This Christmas season be sure and appreciate your loved ones. Let them know you care. We never know when it will be the last holiday we can spend with them....Merry Christmas to you all...my love to you as well

5 comments:

Amy said...

I know that song by heart and love to hear you sing it! Thanks dad, for sharing your thoughts often. I am very grateful for my family this holiday season! What a blessed family we are!!

Heather said...

I love that song...it holds an extra special meaning for me this year. I too am grateful for such a wonderful family! I am especially grateful for a wonderful uncle who has made me feel as if I know my father, even though I can't remember him. I know when I meet him again, he won't be a stranger thanks to your shared memories! Have a merry Christmas.

Lori Buhr said...

It is a mixed feeling Christmas this year without my kids coming home. It is time for them to be on their own or with in-laws. It is a stark reminder that it is all about family and without them life is so empty. Happy memories are the cure! I am going to list some of those on my bolg this week. Check it out!

Angela said...

I knew the song when you mentioned Dennis...we heard it often growing up. It is a good one!!
I am looking forward to being home for Christmas. It is hard to be one of the only family members living in California. Merry Christmas!!

Ang

Unknown said...

Simply a beautiful tribute, thank-you for sharing!