Sunday, February 17, 2008

Chocolate Wars/The Pecking Order

Every time Mom would bake a cake or a batch of brownies all of us, her children would line up like ravenous vultures to finish off what batter did not make it into the oven.
Mom knew the pleasure we got from getting a preview taste of the upcoming treat as it was entering the oven so she was always generous in the amount of batter we shared among ourselves. The big spoon she used to scrape the batter into the pans was reserved for Vic. Dennis and I would each get one of the beaters. Roberta got to dab her finger into the the mixture straight from the pan just before it went into the oven.
The first time Ronnie wanted to join in the tradition of batter eating, it had us all scratching our heads. The routine had been set, the pecking order established, still, there he stood with that pathetic look on his face that made us all feel guilty as we wrapped our tongues around the different utensils that the pecking order dictated was ours. Although Mom was generous with what was left on our individual licking spots, she was very thorough in making sure that almost every molecule of batter was taken from the mixing bowl. We pushed the bowl in Ronnie's direction and told him if he wanted any he would just have to stick his head down into the bowl and lick off what ever he could find.
He was thrilled at the blessing of finding his spot in the pecking chain and stuck his little head down inside the bowl and started lapping at the bottom and sides just as a thirsty dog would go after the last drops of water in its water dish. It was amazing to us Ronnie could get so many stains on his t-shirt from such little batter. I don't suppose I need to mention that his hair was quite matted down as well from the chocolate treat. Mom made a quick gasp at the site of the chocolate mess in front of her, but couldn't resist a smile at seeing how overjoyed he was to know he had a spot in the pecking order in the baking cycle.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Way to go Uncle Ron! That is the best way to do it!!

Angela said...

As I read this, I am reminded of the way my sisters and I got to lick anything extra out of a bowl etc.

Of course I got last say because I was the youngest, but the fact there was only 3 of us, I am sure I got my fair share.

Ang

The Betitas said...

is there any way we could arrange it so that grandma could read these! I think she would love them so much!

Lori Buhr said...

I guess you all noticed that I didn't even get in the pecking order. That is pretty low! This could explain my lack of ability to share my sweets with anyone, no matter how much I love them.

Rick...the meek and mild said...

Now Lori...this was a story of the pecking order 4 years before you were born. As for not sharing, there came a time when it became the survival of the fittest.