Friday, February 22, 2008

Dumb moves

There was a shed to the south side of the house. As a youngster it looked quite large, though considering the activity we used it for, it couldn’t have been very tall. It had a flat top roof and we accessed the roof by climbing a ladder attached to the building on the north side of the shed. We decided it was a perfect place to play “King of the Mountain” All you had to do to be king of the mountain was to be the last one left standing on the shed. One by one we would throw each other off the roof. That’s right! The losers were physically thrown from the roof top to the ground below. I have always been small for my age so it wasn’t uncommon for me to be the first one thrown overboard. Curtis Scott was a husky kid and as I recall, was always the king. You would think there would be some serious injuries from this activity, but the only wound I ever remember anyone receiving was when Dennis slipped off the ladder, gashing his leg in the fall. Maybe we were catlike and always landed perfectly. At any rate, I remember hating to be the loser so I would immediately ascend the ladder once more only to be thrown overboard time and time again. I think maybe that is why my joints are aching right now just reliving this particular activity.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Boys...what can you do!
I am sure I would have been participating with you if I were around!

Ang

Lori Buhr said...

Wow that must have been before i was big enough to get up there. Physical aggression was one of my favorite passtimes as a youth, I wonder where I learned that from.

Heather said...

I'm so glad the Lord has blessed me with one very cautious daughter! I'm sure if I'd been your mother, I'd have high blood pressure and be on the verge of breakdown:) That being said, I'm sure glad you did the crazy things you did, they're so fun to hear about.