Friday, February 29, 2008

Dumb Moves\Dad's Turn

The first job I remember Dad having was that of a delivery driver for Clover Club Potato Chips. I don't know if he took anyone else on the route with him or if he took me out more than this one particular time. I just remember it being very, very memorable.
Delivery trucks really aren't meant to have passengers. If I wanted to sit, it had to be on one of the steps that led down to the out door to the right side of the truck, much like a school bus. If I sat on any of those steps there was nothing to see , but if I stood up to look out the window there was nothing to hold onto so I became a swaying body trying to keep my balance while standing next to Dad there in the front center of his delivery truck. Things were mostly fine on the open road as we were headed to Durango, but the balancing act got very tricky once we were inside the city with all those stop lights, lane changes, turns, etc. It was becoming a fun challenge to change the position of my feet or the leaning of my body as if I were on a surf board trying to navigate a big wave towards the beach. Unfortunately for me a big wipeout occurred! There is just no planning on an inattentive driver who is trying to make a quick lane change and cuts you off...Dad had to instinctively react as the driver to the right of us started to pull over and cut him off the lane he was in. As Dad slammed on the brakes I took a face smash into the front windshield and as he jerked the steering wheel to the left to avoid a collision I did a twisting feet over head tumble down the stairs and landed against the door on the bottom step upside down and almost unable to move as if I were a square peg pounded into a round hole.
The first words out of Dad's mouth were directed at the incompetent driver and not fit to be listed here. Being at the steering wheel in the middle of traffic he couldn't come to my aid and as I was attempting to aright myself he started driving again which caused my misplaced body to take one more fall so I was now lying flat on that bottom step. This allowed me to be able to jump up in a normal standing position there at the bottom of the truck, so I turned and looked up at Dad who was making quick turns of his head from me to the road, from me to the road, in an effort to avoid any more catastrophes.
All this took place in about two seconds. When Dad saw I had survived my in-flight acrobatics the look on his face changed from anger at the driver to instant relief. I must have had a befuddled look on my face because he broke out into laughter at the situation. This brought sudden anger to me that he would find my plight so amusing so I pushed my head in his direction and yelled out..."What did you do that for?" as if it were all his fault (does this remind you of the war with Vic??). This made Dad laugh even louder at my theatrics. All in all it was a combination of dumb moves on everyones part.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Dad,
It is strange to read about your abrupt temper at situations that you disliked. The father I've always known has been calm, introspecitve, and non-reactant when a stressful situation occurs.
I think I like both though!

Ang

Amy said...

So... this is were Conner gets his temper. I am reading this and my thoughts were, "Conner would said and acted the exact same way!" I guess there is hope, you didn't turn out so bad...laugh!

Lori Buhr said...

I can see it in my mind and also hear your voice and the tone of exhasperation in it. Life is full of twists and turns and drivers that cut us off.