Sunday, May 18, 2008

If it was spring it was time for baseball

Like many of my youthful activities, we had to make do with what we had at the moment for our recreation. We had a ball and bat that we had made good use of. That poor ball was so well used that the threads broke loose and the leather covering had come completely off, rendering the ball useless to us anymore. Still addicted to the thrill of trying to hit something over the fence, we took the bat out wanting to use it again. We decided small rocks would work just as well for baseballs, so we assembeld a small pile of rocks that would satisfy the need. Stevie was with Dennis and me and was the first one to step into the batter's box while I did the pitching. It took several throws to get the hang of throwing something smaller than a baseball and also for Stevie to zero in on hitting something half the size of a ball, but on one perfect pitch he connected and sent the rock zinging. It was a perfect line drive that came right back to me on the pitchers mound and caught the right, top edge of my head, right at the hair line. The rock made a glancing blow richocheting away and I had an instant ringing in my ears. I found myself teetering to the right and stepped that way trying to catch my balance. I fell to the ground and rolled over on my back as the ringing persisted and the sky had a look of little circles that pulsed in front of me. I could hear Dennis and Stevie talking to me, but I couldn't see them and I had the sensation of a slow, warm, trickling of blood that was flowing down towards my ear. As the image of their two faces came into view above me a feeling of intense pain surged into my skull. I now realized what Goliath might have felt when he had his famous encounter with David from Biblical times. Had that rock been one inch lower and to the center it might have had the same final effect on me as it did for Goliath...I suppose God had a different plan for me...I'm glad he was on my side at that moment.

2 comments:

Amy said...

You boys were crazy!! Again... this is another story not to tell your grandkids. I don't want them getting any ideas! LAUGH!

Brooke said...

Dad! Be careful. I realize I am a little to late, seeing how I was not around then. Although I wonder what it would have been like to have brothers, after reading these stories, I just don't think that mom could have handle boys....