Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Christmas gift giving idea

As Dennis progressed with his Muscular Dystrophy he became physically weaker and slower. We were a family that always loved sports and tried to play every chance we could get. Dennis had gotten to the point where no one wanted him on their team, as he would be a liability no matter what position he played ,so he and I started our own form of two man baseball. Rather than hit the ball with a bat I would throw the ball straight up into the air as high as I could. This would give Dennis time to take a few steps to get himself under the ball as it fell to the ground. If he caught it, I was out. If he dropped it I got a single. From first base I'd do the same thing again, throw the ball straight up in the air as high as I could. If Dennis caught it, I would be out. If he dropped it I then moved to second base and on it went like this until he had caught the ball 3 times making 3 outs or I would advance around the bases until I scored a run. We could play this way for quite some time. Every now and then Dennis would fall down for no reason, which was just a fact of life with the progression of Muscular Dystrophy and the Duchene Strain that Dennis had. It slowly robs the strength of every muscle in your body from your neck to your ankles. On one particular high lob that I had made, Dennis situated himself under the ball waiting to make the catch as the ball descended. Just as the ball was approaching his glove, Dennis' arms lost all strength and his arms fell to his side which allowed the ball to smash into his nose causing him to tumble down onto the ground in a bloody heap. Dennis never was one to cry, but easily let his frustrations get to him. He threw the glove away in disgust that his body wouldn't do what he wanted it to do. He took off his shoe and pulled the sock off his foot which he used as a hankie to help stop the bleeding. If it hadn't been such a sad situation it might have been hilarious...a boy with a bloody nose using a sock as a first aid remedy. Well, the truth was, we had encountered many similar situations before because of his disease and I was used to having these mini-disasters, so I couldn't help myself...I started laughing. Dennis' first reaction was anger. He couldn't get up to pound on me, so he took the bloody sock and threw it in my direction as best he could trying to hit me, but didn't come too very close to me. The blood continued to trickle down his lip so I took off my shoe and offered him my own sock to help him out. This made him laugh in return. After the blood had stopped we got Dennis to his feet and we went into the house, laughing at our newest experience and both of us only wearing one shoe.
.
.
.
If you enjoyed this story might I recommend my book as a gift to give for Christmas. The book details Dennis' life and has several stories just like the above on that are both touching but sweet. The books sell for $10 and I can easily send you a signed copy that you can have in a week. Drop any request to me...cmydimple@yahoo.com

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved that story! I have enjoyed reading your stories on here, they are funny and inspiring to me. Thank you so much for sharing your life! Keep posting!

Amy said...

We would like to give one to Megan for Christmas this year. Each of the kids have one, well... except her. Maybe you could write something in it. A message from Grandpa. I think she would really enjoy it!

Angela said...

I would like to have another copy...I want to add it to our Relief Society Library.

Ang

Lori Buhr said...

Still looking for a few more copies from you to come in the mail. At Emily's reception I asked you for some, but it was a hectic day and I bet you've forgotten. Lots of love, Lori