Friday, November 2, 2007

On the lighter side

November brings several birthdays to family members so this will start a highlight of something about each...enjoy.

I remember November 25th, 1956. It was just one of those much unexpected mornings from my youth!! I got up in my usual manner and headed right for the kitchen. I was in my normal sleeping attire, my kiddie briefs and nothing else. I could smell the welcomed aroma of breakfast being cooked and was anxious to get my day started. You know how many things a nearly 5 year old has arranged for his busy day.I hadn't gotten ten feet into the room when I froze in my footsteps...who was that stranger at the kitchen stove? No way was this Mom! Far too tall and wearing a dress. Mom never wore a dress for breakfast. She turned and I recognized her instantly as my Aunt Marguerite, the one aunt I was smitten with. She always looked so exotic. She was a beautician by trade and always made herself look as if she were headed out to an important social event. Just the type of woman I would be taken with.
What an awkward moment for me. There I was nearly naked and quite unprepared for this encounter. I was getting ready to make my sneaky retreat back into my bedroom when she turned and our eyes made that undeniable contact. My mind went blank. I was transfixed by her gaze. I felt weak at my knees. What hold did this woman have over me? I could tell by her body language she was not offended by my near nude state. After all, for a five year old, I did have quite the adonis body. She had a sweet smile, her arms were open...we continued in our transfixed gaze. It was the perfect moment for me to express my true desire. Tell her what a beauty I thought she was, but I found myself speechless still. Being the older, experienced woman she was, Marguerite was the first to speak, "Well good morning Ricky, come give Aunt Marguerite a hug." she said.
Still, I was frozen there on the kitchen floor stunned at this situation I found myself in. I must say something, so I gathered my thoughts around me and sounded out those three words that still ring in my ears today...
"Where's my mommy?"
Marguerite still had that sweet smile even though my question was so lacking in romance. "She is at the hospital. You have a new baby brother and I am here to get you started on your day. Here, I've got breakfast waiting for you."
She pointed to the chair at the table, turned, got a plate of pancakes and set them at the spot on the table where I'd be closest to her. My mind was still racing. What should I say now? Something sophisticated, enticing..."I've got to pee."
I've got to pee? What kind of line is that? Way to go Ricky, you are Mister Suave and Debonair. I turned and went to the bathroom. I didn't want Marguerite to know I was a liar on top of my other inconsiderate acts. I sat there on the toilet trying to regather my thoughts. Organizing the words that would turn the tide in my favor with Aunt Marguerite. I was searching through her words she had uttered to me, looking for a hint she was as smitten with me as I was with her when those words she had said suddenly hit me like a brick...I HAVE A NEW BABY BROTHER!!!
I hurriedly got dressed and raced out to the kitchen table. Novemeber 25th ended up being a very exciting day................. Ron's birthday will be on the 25th, wish him well.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Ha! Ha! That is so funny dad. I haven't heard that story before!! Do you think Garrett feels the same way to Brooke or Ang? ...haha! Too funny!!

Unknown said...

I love your stories. You are an inspiration. I just lost a dear friend and coworker who was a master at getting people to tell their stories. You, sir, are a master at inspiring others with your stories. I am blessed to have great friends like you,

Angela said...

Great! Another reason why Arianna can call you the "crazy grandpa"!
Ang

Lori Buhr said...

Just a reminder of how lucky I am to have all the brothers I do. What do you think about taking Ron to see Billy joel for his birthday at the Delta Center oops the Energy Solutions Arena? The tickets are kind of pricey, but I know he would love it if he doesn't already have plans. I think it is on Thursday 11/29.