Thursday, June 19, 2008

Poems for silliness

This one earned me extra credit in high school and is the earliest poem in my memory
.
.
.
Once I told a little lie I didn't even stop to try
and think that it might hurt someone
that they'd get blamed for what I'd done
that they'd get spanked and yelled at too
for something that they did not do
and this is why a person should not lie
.
.
.
.
If you recite this with a cowboy twang you'll get the sarcastic feel of it all
.
.
.
I picked up the paper and turned to the section
of people who died yesterday
and I got to wonderin' if they had one more chance
what are the things that they'd say?
Then I got thinkin' , Hey! that could have been me
instead of them on this page
so if I should kick off tomorrow please know
How much I love you today.

In all of the hustle and all of the bustle
of life that we face everyday
Those who are near to us, those that are dear to us
are those that should hear us say
you are my every thing, please hear these words I sing
tomorrow will bring what it may
so if I should kick off tomorrow please know
how much I love you today

1 comment:

Lori Buhr said...

I like them both. I will try to memorize the one about the lie. I will teach it to my kids at school. It will be most useful!