Thursday, June 12, 2008

Talk in church with Joel as the main topic

This past week I gave a talk in church. As the new Ward Mission Leader I got my first speaking opportunity as we had the most recently returned missionary report to the ward.
The topic was missionary work of course and I used Joel as a prime example of how he bettered himself and chose to serve the Lord.
A mathematical fact I presented was this, there are around 13 million members world wide and 6billion people on the earth. That means that each member has the charge to introduce nearly 500 people to the gospel. Take into consideration most members let the full time missionaries do all the gospel sharing. Now, if 10% of the church were full time missionaries (which isn't true) then each missionary would have to contact and teach 5,000 people to have the work fill the entire earth. Take into account that missionaries travel in pairs, each pair would have to teach 10,000 people...the message was that everyone needs to be a part time missionary.
We can each do some changing in our lives in the missionary effort so that we can benefit the lives of others as Joel changed and benefitted each of our lives

4 comments:

Angela said...

As President McKay stated, "Every Member A Missionary!" I testify of that. I have truly enjoyed living in California. Living here has allowed me to be a missionary and I have learned so much by teaching and telling others what I believe in.

Brooke said...

Dad, I forgot that you were speaking. I know that I would have thoroughly enjoyed your talk. I also know that you gave a wonderful talk. You are so good at teaching and sharing life experiences.

Lori Buhr said...

Way to go Rick. I was never really very good at Math, but even I can see we need to be anxiously engaged in the work.

The Betitas said...

thanks for the reminder. im a slacker! it is so important and i let stuff get in the way of remembering how important it is!